Creating New Projects, Navigating the Viewport, Object Selection and a short explanation of Rule Based Modeling. A rule file is assigned to a multiple shapes, and buildings with random parameters are generated.
- Create a Project
- Create A New Scene within the project
- Copy any needed assets and rules to your project folder
- Grow a street network from Graph > Grow Streets
- View layers in the Scene Editor window
- Frame the scene extent (button or F key)
- Set navigation scheme (setup how to use mouse or other device) with Exit > Preferences and scheme under Navigation Devices > Mouse
- Tumble/Pan/Zoom views with mouse button and alt key or scrolling the mouse wheel
- Framing options with the Frame button or F on keyboard; zoom to components by clicking on them and pressing F
- Selecting individual or groups of objects with F9-12 keys or nav buttons: showing and hiding layers makes selection easier when there are many layers
- F9 Map Layers
- F10 Graph Networks
- F11 Shapes (blocks)
- F12 Models
- Select indivdual objects or groups of objects:
- With left click on individual object
- Selection Rectangle right to left: all objects touched or inside
- Selection Rectangle left to right: only elements completely within the rectangle
- The select tool options, ctl + shift to toggle; add/subtract/invert selection
- Use the Selection Menu by clicking the dropdown next to the Selection tool on the toolbar (represented with an arrow). Use to add to, subtract from or invert selections.
- Right Click on a scene for select operations including select objects from different layers; objects of the same type or from the same group, and; objects using the same start rule or rule file.
- Generating models with rules/procedures
- Assigning rules to shapes using the Rules inspector or by right-clicking on a layer in the Scene editor.
- Generate models using the Generate button on the toolbar.
- Create model varations of randomized objects by using the seed value in the information inspector or the update seed button, or ctl+shift+g
- Changing randomized rule values in the Rules inspector
NOTE: there are differences between CE2016 and the video
- Opening and editing Rules in the rule editor window
- Visualize rules as text or visually using CGA nodes.
NOTE: In CityEngine 2016, this is done by clicking Window > Show Model Hierarchy, selecting the model and then the Inspect Model button on the toolbar.
- Navigate through the Model Hierarchy
NOTE: the video describes changing rule parameters in the Model Hierarchy, which is not available in CE 2016. Instead, triple-left clicking will bring you to the corresponding code in the Rule Editor window.